Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Back to School Excitement!

I LOVE the first days of school. I loved it as a kid and I love it as a teacher. Two of the things I love the most about back to school time is setting up my classroom and choosing the first books my kiddos will hear me read. I believe the books I choose for those beginning days really sets the stage for showing my passion for books and love for reading, the very traits we want our students to acquire!

You're Finally Here! by Melanie Watt was my first read aloud last year and the kids LOVED it! It was the perfect read for me to show my excitement in finally meeting all the kids and to spark discussion about what they did all summer. It's a bit of a silly book which helped calm some first day jitters and helped me begin to learn about the kids.
  • Family interests & experiences 
  • Ability to share in front of their peers & talk with a friend
  • Listening skills 
  • Early literacy skills with the writing/drawing response 
I also just got to learn about them! Did they think the book was funny? Are they smiling, laughing, nervous, sad, anxious, etc.! So many observations and opportunities for me to learn in this small portion of the first day. Click here to connect to the teacher's blog where I found this title and tons of activities to go along with it. Here are some more favorite first day of school read alouds!





A colleague recommended this last title and it looks like a fantastic read as well! What are some of your back to school favorites?!

No comments:

Post a Comment